Little Princesses

I have to attribute my absence to my internship at Flurys. It is a six week internship that is part of my curriculum and I am exactly midway at three weeks. Confectionery has always been the dream so I opted to train at a stand-alone bakery and confectionery. In the city of Kolkata what better confectionery to train with than Flurys? 
I have learned a lot in these three weeks alone and no doubt will continue to learn much more by the time this internship concludes. Numerous speciality cake orders are placed at Flurys every single day. Birthday cakes uncountable with the occasional anniversary and wedding. Children's birthday cakes are ordered by their parents everyday and the little girl inside me feels a sense of satisfaction every time I see a finished birthday cake before the birthday girl.





A pattern I have been noticing is that parents of girls below 5 years of age choose to get princess themed cakes made for their daughters with dominant shades of pinks and purples. I initially passed it off as the birthday girl's choice, however when these cake orders started coming for 1 and 2 year olds I started feeling slightly strange.These were cakes that parents ordered for their little girls. They simply assume that all little girls must love princesses and pink!!
The feminist inside me can't quite accept this fact. Why must little girls always be bought dolls as birthday gifts and called a little princess? Why is she called a rebel if cars and aeroplanes interest her instead? Why isn't Matilda the role model incepted into the girl's mind instead of Sleeping Beauty? Why isn't Arya from Eragon more appropriate than Snow White? 
Parents all over the world condition these little girls to be delicate, pretty and feminine from an impressionable age rather than telling them that they are to be strong, independent, liberal individuals who neither see themselves as any less than equals to their male counterparts nor require these said men to 'Save them'.
I have nothing against princesses, nor the colour pink, I just simply wish parents would let their daughters choose who they would rather be, Hermoine or Cinderella.

Comments

  1. Excellent observation! Rarely do we read into birthday gifts for children the way you have done and it is still rare to ascribe such sexist attributes to birthday cakes. Well written, witty, precise, makes its point without being impolite.

    I also liked your articles on Audrey Hepburn and Shakespeare. For a 'non-cooking' person like me, it makes for delightful reading - the way you associate cuisines with personalities and periods, providing a historical context. Gets one hooked immediately. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Rinku uncle.
      I am so glad you took out the time to go through my blog posts. Please do keep reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. U are making me the last cake on my next birthday! Period!

    ReplyDelete
  3. U are making me the last cake on my next birthday! Period!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Type your comment here

Popular posts from this blog

Peter Gilmore's Eight Texture Cake: Day 1

Popsicles are Forever